Date of Award
Master of Arts (MA)
Raymond L. Welty
The Kansas Pacific Railroad Company constructed the first major railroad and received more land grants than any railroad in Kansas. In 1855, the Kansas Pacific was chartered by the territorial legislature as the Leavenworth, Pawnee, and Western Railroad and in 1869, the name was changed to the Kansas Pacific. This study had been divided into three main divisions: the development of the Kansas Pacific from its organization until it was consolidated with the Union Pacific Railroad Company in 1880; the land policy of the Kansas Pacific in Kansas; and the land policy of the Kansas Pacific and subsequent companies in Wallace County, Kansas. Included in the section on Wallace County is a detailed study of the purchasers of land, the amount paid, and the acres purchased from the railroad and subsequent companies.
Copyright 1961 Robert Edward Brand
Brand, Robert Edward, "The Kansas Pacific and Railroad Land Policy in Wallace County, Kansas" (1961). Master's Theses. 694.