The barracks, along with old hospital buildings, from Walker Army Air Field, 15 miles east of Hays, provided housing for married students and their families for about 20 years. The Board of Regents okayed the acquisition of the barracks in 1947, and one hundred twenty-three apartments were created by the renovations of the surplus army buildings.
© University Archives, Forsyth Library, Fort Hays State University
Digitized by Forsyth Digital Collections
Wooster, Lyman Dwight, "Lewis Field Apartments" (1959). Lyman Dwight Wooster Photograph Collection. 274.