A photograph of three painted plaster statues sitting on the marble staircase in the old Forsyth Library building. The statues were created by Cyrus E. Dallin and they depict Native Americans on horses. On the right "Appeal to the Great Spirit"(1912) a sculpture of a Native American man seated on a horse while wearing a war bonnet with his arms outstretched and his face raised to the sky. In the center "Cayuse at Spring" (1913) a sculpture of a Native American boy riding behind a Native American man mounted on a horse. On the left "The Scout" (1911) a sculpture of a Native American man mounted on a horse and wearing a feather and a bow on his back with his hand raised to his brow. The statues were presented by the senior class of 1930 and currently reside in the University Archives in Forsyth Library. Handwritten caption on back.
black and white photograph
© University Archives, Forsyth Library, Fort Hays State University
Digitized by Forsyth Digital Collections
Macy, Warren, "Native American Statuary in Forsyth Library" (1935). University Archives Photographs Collection. 170.