A black and white photo of a Devil's Corkscrew on the side of a bluff. A Devil's Corkscrew is a helix or spiral structure that goes up to the top of the buff and can extend up to seven feet into the ground. Also known by their scientific name of Daemonelix, these were burrows of the Palaeocastor, a larger version of the prairie dogs of today. In this photo, C. W. Gilmore is standing next to the specimen with a pick axe in his right hand. He holds a smoking pipe to his mouth with his left hand. A small backpack is on his back. To the far right of the bluff stands Myrl V. Walker. He is wearing a backpack and is looking back towards the camera. The bluff is maybe two feet taller then the men.
black and white photograph
© University Archives, Fort Hays State University
Digitized by Forsyth Digital Collections
Sternberg, George Fryer 1883-1969, "039_02: Devil's Corkscrew" (2021). George Sternberg Album #7. 179.