Harvey County Historical Museum Photographs
 

Creator

Preview

image preview

Identifier

2009135119

Approximate Date

1-1-1984

Description

Newton. 1951. Aerial view of Newton business district, roundhouse and railroad yards. Good view of buildings along West Fourth Street and Plum Street. Information typed on back of photo: 'View looking Southeast. Building at northeast corner of roundhouse was storage for firebrick for steam engines. Building on east side of entrance to roundhouse was the first water treating plant Building on west side of entrance to roundhouse was second water treating plant. Long, narrow building to the south was second power plant, west half with smoke stacks was boiler room, east half for steam-operated machinery. Engines stored on track behind freighthouse were: No. 2515 - K.C.M.O. No. 59 - N.Y. C. No. 2975 - A 2-8-0 built by Brooks in 1910; scrapped at Clovis New Mexico on February 26, 1952. No. 2520 - K.C.MO. No. 64- N. Y.C. No. 2968 - A 2-9-0 built by Brooks in 1910; scrapped, U.S. Steel on January 9, 1952. (Both from Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railroad) No. 1628 -A 2-10-2 built by Baldwin in 1905 as an oilburner; rebuilt in San Bernardino in February of 1917; scrapped and sold to the Purdy Co. on May 12, 1953. Photo by Morse Studio. - Mike Hurley" Full resolution copies of this file are not available.

Physical Description

5" x 7"

Subject

Harvey County (Kan.), Mills, Railroad companies

Rights

© Harvey County Historical Museum. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced without permission. To request permission, contact info@hchm.org. Please credit Harvey County Historical Museum as your source.

Publisher

Access provided by Forsyth Digital Collections

Collection

L. M. 'Mike' Hurley Collection, Photo Box 25 L. M. 'Mike' Hurley Collection

Comments

For questions contact ScholarsRepository@fhsu.edu

Language

eng

Keywords

Harvey County (Kan.), Mills, Railroad companies

Share

Image Location

 
COinS