Harvey County Historical Museum Photographs
 

Creator

Preview

image preview

Identifier

201215310

Approximate Date

1-1-2009

Description

Historical marker installed by HCHS. City of Hesston. / Marker reads: "Hesston - In the 1870s this area was settled by people with diverse backgrounds who shared the promise of the land. With an influx of those of Mennonite faith and the railroad's birth in the 1880s, success of the town was very likely. Hesston's name honors 1884 settlers Amos and Abraham L. Hess, owners of the land on which the city was platted in 1886. In 1908 A. L. Hess donated 80 acres for Hesston College. Its first building "Green Gables" opened in 1909 with D.H. Bender as president. In 1995 the Gables was torn down. Early town builders were Rapp, Randall, Wenger, Grabill, McNutt, and Shaver. Three homes built from cement blocks made by Lyon Bros. (Hesston's first factory) and C.T. Barton's 1886 grocery story still exist. Businesses that have impacted the growth of Hesston are Hesston Corp., King Construction Co. and Excel. The pioneers' legacy of perseverance thrives in Hesston today. Erected in 1998 by the Harvey County Historical Society"

Subject

Boys, Schools, Halstead (Kan.), Harvey County (Kan.)

Rights

© Harvey County Historical Museum. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced without permission. To request permission, contact info@hchm.org. Please credit Harvey County Historical Museum as your source.

Publisher

Access provided by Forsyth Digital Collections

Collection

Harvey County Towns and Rural Areas, Photo Box 19 C Hesston

Comments

For questions contact ScholarsRepository@fhsu.edu

Language

eng

Keywords

Boys, Schools, Halstead (Kan.), Harvey County (Kan.)

Share

Image Location

 
COinS