A monument that sits south of the town of Victoria. George Grant established the English colony of Victoria in 1873 with the intent of turning the area into cattle and sheep ranches for nobility. He brought to Victoria what is believed to be the first Polled Angus (Aberdeen Angus) cattle in America, but it is not known for sure that he actually brought these particular cattle over to America. The Junction City Tribune stated after Grant's death that there were Polled Galloway cattle on the Grant land, but no mention of Polled Black Angus.
Access provided by Forsyth Digital Collections
Copyright Forsyth Library Special Collections, Fort Hays State University. May not be reproduced without permission.
Nicholas, Patty, "George Grant memorial" (2000). Volga German Buildings of Ellis and Rush Counties. 53.