St. Joseph Catholic Church and the rectory as seen from the south. Located in Liebenthal, which is the only Volga German community that is not in Ellis County, this church was built between 1902-1905. A fire in 1917 gutted both the church and the parish house. A new parish house was built in 1918. The church was cleaned up and rebuilt following the fire and was dedicated on November 8, 1921. Another fire damaged the church again on December 27, 1959. It was rebuilt in two years.
© Forsyth Library Special Collections, Fort Hays State University. May not be reproduced without permission.
Access provided by Forsyth Digital Collections
Nicholas, Patty, "St. Joseph Catholic Church and the rectory" (2004). Volga German Buildings of Ellis and Rush Counties. 19.