On January 2, 1913, South Georgia State Normal College opened to women in rural Valdosta, Georgia. The school quickly grew. In 1922, it transitioned from a two-year program to a full four-year curriculum leading to the bachelor’s degree. The following year the school changed its name to Georgia State Woman’s College. In 1933, the Georgia Board of Regents declared the school to be the liberal arts college for women in the University System. In 1950, the school became the co-educational Valdosta State College. In 1993, the school became Valdosta State University (VSU), with a charge to address and provide graduate school needs to its 46 county service area (Davis, 2001). The university currently serves nearly 13,000 students annually, about one-third of whom are African American.
"A Historical Account of Post-Secondary Second Language (L2) Offerings: A Century of Data and trends at an SCU,"
Teacher-Scholar: The Journal of the State Comprehensive University: Vol. 6:
1, Article 2.
Available at: https://scholars.fhsu.edu/ts/vol6/iss1/2