Harvey County Historical Museum Photographs
 

Creator

Preview

image preview

Identifier

2010204492

Approximate Date

1980

Description

Sedgwick. 1980. Close view of historical marker in park. / Plaque reads: "City of Sedgwick The city of Sedgwick was named in honor of General John Sedgwick, a Civil War hero. It was platted by T. S. Floyd in 1870 and incorporated in 1872. The original town site consisted of 80 acres. Sedgwick is the oldest town in Harvey County and located at the confluence of the Little Arkansas River and Sand Creek. The first school house in Harvey County was erected in Sedgwick in September 1870. The first post office opened that same year. The first store opened and first purchases were made by Judge R. W. P. Case in July 1870. Sedgwick has progressed from blacksmith shop, crank telephone, board walks, coal oil lights, woodturning stoves, hitching posts, and pump wells to the conveniences of today - 78. Courtesy Harvey County Historical Society"

Physical Description

2" x 2"

Subject

Historical markers, Plaques, Harvey County (Kan.), Sedgwick (Kan.)

Rights

© Harvey County Historical Museum. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced without permission. To request permission, contact info@hchm.org. Please credit Harvey County Historical Museum as your source.

Publisher

Access provided by Forsyth Digital Collections

Collection

J. Birch Stuart Collection, Photo Box 19 E Sedgwick

Comments

For questions contact ScholarsRepository@fhsu.edu

Language

eng

Keywords

Historical markers, Plaques, Harvey County (Kan.), Sedgwick (Kan.)

Share

Image Location

 
COinS